[new] = New feature
[imp] = Improvement
[fix] = Bug fix
[chg] = Change
[kis] = Known issue
Sunday 7th June 2009 : DJ-1800 3.2.2 released
What's new in version 3.2.2:
- [fix] Fixed a crash on launch when using DJ-1800 with Mac OS X 10.4 and iTunes 8.2. This fix means that iPhone support now requires Mac OS 10.5 or later.
Tuesday 26th August 2008 : DJ-1800 3.2.1 released
What's new in version 3.2.1:
- [fix] Implemented a workaround for an issue in QuickTime on Leopard. This issue only affected Leopard users who had the same device selected for both Master and Cue output, and who also had Pitch Lock turned on. With this configuration, starting playback of a second track would cause a short audio dropout on an already-playing track, due to a bug in QuickTime. This is no longer the case.
- [new] A "Loading Track" message is now displayed when a new track first starts to load. This avoids a long "nothing is happening" pause when first loading a new track in some circumstances, especially where BPM, StartPoint and AutoGain have already been calculated.
- [chg] CoreAudio "aggregate" devices no longer appear for selection in DJ-1800's output preferences.
Tuesday 19th August 2008 : DJ-1800 3.2 released
What's new in version 3.2:
- [new] New "Full Screen" mode - just hit "Escape" to switch between windowed and Full Screen modes.
- [new] Support for Nicecast via a new plug-in.
- [new] Support for the Hercules DJ Console Rmx via a new plug-in.
- [new] The main Rack window can now be expanded horizontally.
- [new] The main Rack window now has its green Maximize icon enabled, to maximize it to fill the current screen.
- [imp] The Library listbox now scrolls faster when the mouse scroll wheel is moved faster.
- [fix] DJ-1800 can now save values to iTunes when the system language is set to something other than English.
- [new] Track load progress is now displayed on screen when loading a track from an iPhone or iPod Touch (as it can take several seconds to load a large track).
- [fix] Loading extremely large tracks from an iPhone or iPod Touch no longer causes the device to reset in some circumstances.
- [fix] Loading two or more tracks from an iPhone or iPod Touch at the same time no longer causes one or more of the tracks to fail to load.
- [imp] iPhone 3G devices display a new iPhone 3G icon in the Sources menu.
- [fix] It is no longer possible for the Library rack device to end up with a too-small height when running on a low-resolution screen, resulting in an unrestorable Library.
- [new] Added some new Plug-In API functions to retrieve values for the current track in a CD Player.
- [new] Added a new "DrawMasterVolume" event to the Plug-In API.
Monday 4th August 2008 : DJ-1800 v3.1
New features and improvements in v3.1:
- [new] Controller support is now implemented via plug-ins. This means that users can create their own controller plug-ins for any of the following:
- MIDI devices
- Human Interface Device (HID) devices
- Devices that have their own custom drivers as an external library
- Keyboard control
- Mouse control
- [new] We have created controller plug-ins and documentation (available from our web site) for these new controllers:
- Denon DN-HC4500
- M-Audio X-Session Pro
- Numark DMC2
- Numark iCDX
- Numark Total Control
- [chg] If you want to change the way a particular controller plugin works, you can edit the plugin yourself via a documented Plug-In API.
- [chg] The generic MIDI support for any MIDI device is no longer included in DJ-1800 by default. Instead, you can create your own MIDI plugin for any devices you wish to support, to give complete flexibility, using the Plug-In API. A template MIDI plug-in is provided with the API.
- [chg] The Controllers preference pane has been completely redesigned to list all installed plugins.
- [fix] The Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys now only modify Keyboard controllers, rather than all controllers.
- [imp] The "Starting MIDI Server" message on launch is now a more descriptive "Loading controller plug-ins" message.
- [new] Added a mid-range EQ control to the internal mixer (not available for Protected AAC files).
- [chg] The default EQ ranges for Low, Mid and Hi are now -20 dB / +6 dB, and the max range is -20 dB / +12 dB in each case.
- [new] Added a preferences pane for EQ preferences, enabling the Low, Mid and Hi ranges to be modified by the user.
- [imp] The current EQ range for each of the Low, Mid and Hi twisters is now displayed on the twister.
- [chg] When a Protected AAC file is loaded, the EQ twister displays a range of -4 dB / +4 dB, to more closely represent the limited EQ range available for Protected AAC files.
- [fix] Fixed a bug with the VU level meters. Previously, adjusting the gain level for a channel would affect the output volumes for both master and cue (by adjusting the track volumes), but this wouldn't be reflected on the master and cue VU displays. It is now.
- [fix] DJ-1800 no longer suffers from occasional redraw problems on Leopard. These would include the track name text becoming frozen, the library grid also becoming frozen, CD Player redraw problems, and incorrect drawing of the minimized / maximized state of rack devices.
- iTunes / iPods
- [new] DJ-1800 now supports music stored on an iPhone or iPod Touch.
- [fix] DJ-1800 can now save calculated values (such as StartPoint, AutoGain and BPM) to iTunes 7.7. Unfortunately, iTunes 7.7 broke this feature for earlier versions of DJ-1800.
- [imp] MP3 audio sync between live and headphones is much improved after cueing and then playing a track.
- [imp] MP3 audio sync between live and headphones is much improved after using the shuttle wheel to fast forward / rewind through a track.
- [imp] DJ-1800 now supports VBR MP3 files with improved reliability.
- [imp] Improved mapping of mono tracks to stereo outputs, with improved VU monitoring.
- [imp] Improved mapping of stereo tracks to mono outputs, with improved VU monitoring.
- [new] Files with 3+ channels of source audio can now be used with DJ-1800, and will be mixed down to mono / stereo as appropriate.
- Other bug fixes, improvements and changes
- [fix] It is no longer possible to load a new track by clicking on a CD Player's track number display whilst another track is already in the process of being loaded into another CD Player. This prevents a situation whereby the CD Player could become frozen if the track list popup menu was kept open for too long.
- [fix] CD Players are now drawn with the correct greyed-out Pitch Lock button graphic on launch if Pitch Lock is turned off in the General Preferences.
- [fix] Pitch Lock is now turned on for minimized CD Players after it is switched on in the General Preferences.
- [imp] Reduced the size of the DJ-1800 application by about 10MB.
- [imp] Improved the text in the Registration window, to mention a "registered e-mail address" rather than a "username", to provide more detailed error messages for incorrect serial numbers, and to mention both v1 and v2 serial codes for users who are upgrading.
- [chg] DJ-1800 now requires QuickTime 7.3 (rather than QuickTime 7.2).
- [fix] Option-dragging (or option-command-numberkey loading) a track to an already-loaded but paused (or cued) CD Player no longer causes that CD Player to re-cue to the beginning of track 1. Instead, it remains paused (or cued), and the new track is appended to the end of the CD Player's playlist.
- [fix] DJ-1800 no longer crashes on quit if it is unregistered and if one or more tracks are in song search mode when using the internal mixer.
- [fix] Controlling the Mixer or Crossfader when they are used by the current output mode but are hidden on-screen no longer causes their controls to be drawn on screen when they should not be.
- [kis] It is not possible to drag-and-drop tracks onto DJ-1800 from an iPod Shuffle (2nd Generation) in iTunes. (This has always been the case, but has only just come to light.) This is an iTunes limitation, and is not something we are able to fix. It is possible to drag-and-drop the tracks from DJ-1800's own library, however.
- [kis] DJ-1800 cannot save calculated values (such as StartPoint, AutoGain and BPM) to an iPod Shuffle (2nd Generation). This is an iTunes limitation, and is not something we are able to fix.
Tuesday 18th December 2007 : DJ-1800 v3.0.2
Changes in v3.0.2:
- [fix] Fixed a crash when quitting DJ-1800 in Demo mode whilst music is still playing
Wednesday 11th December 2007 : DJ-1800 v3.0.1
Changes in v3.0.1:
- [fix] Users with a system language of Japanese can now register DJ-1800 successfully
- [fix] The current track name display on each of the four CD Players now uses Lucida Grande as its font by default, rather than the system font. This improves the text positioning for Japanese language users.
- [fix] Protected audio files and protected movie files are now correctly detected in the iTunes library XML file for non-English-language users, and will show the appropriate icon in the DJ-1800 Library "!" column
- [chg] The "Switch to Tracks List" menu shortcut is now cmd-L rather than cmd-T, based on user feedback. The menu shortcuts for updating from iTunes / iPods now have additional modifiers as a result.
- [imp] Pasted usernames and serial codes are now checked and tidied by the Registration window before they are pasted, which should reduce the chance of registration failing unnecessarily
- [new] If you are running DJ-1800 in demo mode, you are now given the option to Buy Now (or Buy Later) when quitting DJ-1800
- [kis] There is a known issue when using DJ-1800 in "Dual + Mixer" or "Mono + Mixer" mode, on Mac OS 10.5.x, with Pitch Lock turned on. The problem occurs when loading a new track, or when starting playback of a track. Either of these actions may result in a short audio dropout on other already-playing tracks. This problem is caused by a bug in Mac OS 10.5 and QuickTime, rather than in DJ-1800. We are working with Apple to help them fix this bug. If you are using Mac OS 10.4.x, or if you are using any other output mode on 10.5.x, or if you are not using Pitch Lock on 10.5.x, then you will not experience this problem.
Thursday 22nd November 2007 : DJ-1800 v3.0
New features and improvements in v3.0:
- [new] New Pitch Lock (master tempo) feature in place of the old Pitch Shift on / off button
- [new] Pitch Lock preference pane to adjust Pitch Lock quality
- [new] Pitch Lock can be disabled to use the old "Pitch Shift" approach on slower machines
- [new] DJ-1800 now calculates the BPM values of songs
- [new] BPM minimum and maximum values can be defined in DJ-1800's preferences
- [new] BPM values can be calculated using between 50% and 100% of the song (for greater accuracy)
- [new] BPM values can be calculated based on the first available BPM estimate (for greater speed at the expense of high accuracy)
- [new] DJ-1800 is a Universal Binary, running natively on both PPC and Intel Macs
- [fix] Fixed a memory leak when loading new songs. Previously, loading a new song could have leaked up to 2MB of memory each time. This is no longer the case, and memory usage should now remain constant when using DJ-1800 for long periods of time
- [fix] Fixed a memory leak which would occur when searching through a track using the jog wheel
- [chg] DJ-1800 now requires Mac OS X 10.4.9 or later, and QuickTime 7.2 or later. This is because QuickTime 7.2 contains several essential functionality and performance fixes required for the new Pitch Lock functionality (as well as much-improved audio sync)
- [chg] DJ-1800's minimum system requirements have been increased, to reflect the new Pitch Lock feature, and other improvements. The requirements are now:
- Without using Pitch Lock:
- 1GHz G4, G5 or Intel processor with 512MB of RAM
- Using Pitch Lock:
- 1.5GHz G5 with at least 1GB RAM, or
- 1.5GHz Intel Core Duo processor with at least 512MB RAM
- A monitor capable of 1024x768 resolution
- iTunes 6
- [new] Support for the Hercules DJ Console MK2
- [new] Support for the Hercules DJ Control MP3
- [new] Two Hercules DJ devices can be used together to control all four CD players
- [new] Support for the PCDJ DAC-3 DJ controller
- [new] Support for the Frontier Design Tranzport wireless MIDI controller
- [new] Added a Controllers section to the General Preferences
- [new] Added new Controllers preference options to set a sensitivity value for the Hercules DJ Console and PCDJ jog wheels, to avoid accidental small movements of the jog wheel platters putting the CD Player into "search" mode
- [new] Added a new Controllers preferences option to require a command-click on a fader to jump to the click point (turned off by default)
- [chg] Support for the ContourDesign ShuttlePro and ShuttleXPress, and the Griffin Powermate, has been removed in v3.0. It should be reinstated soon.
- [chg] Support for the original M-Audio XSession has been removed. The XSession should still work fine as a MIDI controller with DJ-1800, but official support has been removed now that it is no longer available to buy.
- [new] Added a "Library" rack device to load songs directly from the rack interface without the need to launch iTunes
- [new] Library rack device automatically keeps in sync with your iTunes library (and synchronization is much faster than before)
- [new] Library rack device uses true Unicode case-insensitive sorting and searching
- [new] Added a new "Next" play mode, which cues the *next* loaded song when a song reaches its end
- [new] Scrollbar for the rack window, and pretty "rack background" when the window is bigger than the rack.
- [new] Songs can be option-dragged-and-dropped to a CD player, and will be appended to the existing set of songs, rather than replacing them. This even works when a song is playing
- [new] Songs can be loaded into a CD player directly from the library using command-1/2/3/4, or appended to a CD player via option-command-1/2/3/4
- [new] New "Display" preferences options to specify a default Play Mode / Time Display Mode for all CD players. This enables you to use Cont, Loop or Next play modes as your default on every launch, if you prefer them to Single
- [chg] Mouse scroll wheel no longer controls the search (jog) wheel - instead it scrolls the library listboxes, or the window
- [chg] Removed the old "song load" hierarchical contextual menus
- [chg] Removed the "File" menu, as it is no longer needed
- [chg] Removed the "Outputs" menu, and moved the Output Preferences menu item to the Application menu
- [chg] Removed the "Open/Close" buttons (no longer needed)
- [chg] Removed the menu keyboard shortcuts to minimize and hide the five rack devices
- [chg] If a track is playing in a CD Player, you can no longer hide that CD Player's rack device (but you can still minimise the rack device)
- [chg] If a CD Player is hidden, you can no longer control it from the keyboard or external controllers. (Note: this means actually hidden, not just minimised.)
- [chg] DJ-1800 no longer presents or stores preferences for Horizontal and Vertical positioning for the main Rack window. Instead, the previously-used window position and size, and choice of screen, are re-used on the next launch. On the first launch, the window is positioned top left on the Mac's main screen, and uses the full height of the screen
- [fix] If more than 99m59s99 of music is loaded, the CD players will now display 99:59.99 rather than an incorrect time
- [new] New BPM display field on the DJ-1800 LCD displays, which updates when the tempo rate is changed
- [imp] Tempo display is now accurate to 0.01%
- [imp] Option-clicking on the Plus and Minus graphics (to the bottom left and top left of the pitch sliders respectively) increases / decreases the tempo by 0.01%
- [imp] "Track number" display now has a maximum display value of 999 rather than 99
- [new] "Track number" display now shows the number of songs loaded into that CD player
- [chg] Removed the "Time" and "Play Mode" buttons. Time and Play Mode are now set by clicking on the appropriate part of the LCD display (to toggle through modes in each case), or using the keyboard shortcuts as before, or via MIDI control as before
- [fix] Immediately after a precise modification to Pitch (+/- 0.1%), clicking on the background of the pitch slider to move the knob now actually sets the value for pitch
- iTunes / iPods
- [chg] DJ-1800 now uses iTunes as its library by default (and the old "internal DJ-1800 library" has been removed)
- [new] iPods are supported directly in the new Library rack device (if "Enable disk use" is selected in iTunes)
- [new] Multiple iPods can be used at the same time - people can bring their iPods along and you can use them to DJ!
- [new] Mix between iTunes songs and songs from multiple iPods, in any order
- [new] iPod attach / removal is automatically detected
- [new] iPods are synchronized when their library changes
- [new] iPods preference pane to set iPod synchronization preferences separately from iTunes preferences
- [new] StartPoints are (optionally) saved to iTunes / iPod in the Start Time field (requires iTunes 7)
- [new] AutoGain is (optionally) saved to iTunes / iPod in the Volume Adjustment field
- [new] BPM is (optionally) saved to iTunes / iPod in the BPM field, and a precise BPM can be saved to the Comment, Composer or Grouping field
- [imp] iTunes / iPod libraries can now be re-synchronized whilst songs are loaded or playing, without emptying the CD players
- [imp] DJ-1800 can now use iTunes XML library files created with iTunes 7's "Multiple Libraries" feature
- [kis] If a song has just been added to iTunes (or an iPod in iTunes), but the library has not yet been re-synced with DJ-1800, then that song can't be dragged and dropped onto DJ-1800
- Setup Assistant
- [new] Addition of a Setup Assistant, which is displayed (and must be completed) on the first launch of DJ-1800, to guide the user through setting up the following:
- Mixer options (use internal or external)
- Output devices (checking the correct devices are connected and set up correctly)
- Output setup (choice of output mode based on the above, and choosing devices if needed)
- Pitch Lock (advice of Pitch lock on or off based on your Mac's specification)
- iTunes integration (with an optional second page to turn the saving of values on or off for each field)
- iPod integration (with an optional second page to turn the saving of values on or off for each field)
- Other bug fixes, improvements and changes
- [imp] Corrupted databases (perhaps caused by a computer crash or a force quit) are now detected and automatically deleted and reimported when DJ-1800 is next launched. This removes the need to manually delete corrupted libraries on the rare occasions when they occur
- [imp] DJ-1800 now checks whether the format of its iTunes / iPod databases are out of date, and automatically updates to the latest format if needed
- [imp] Changing your Output Preferences now gives a warning that all CD players will have to be emptied to make the change, and gives an opportunity to cancel the change
- [imp] Prompts and alert windows now have more descriptive "OK" button text
- [chg] The word "track" is now used throughout DJ-1800 instead of "song"
- [chg] DJ-1800 Preferences and song libraries are now stored in ~/Library/Application Support/DJ-1800/
- [chg] Crossfade punch has been changed to be shift-up and shift-down to avoid confusion with the new library
- [chg] Page Down no longer centers the crossfader, to avoid confusion when using the new Library
- [fix] If a previously-used audio device is not available on startup, DJ-1800 no longer allows you to continue without selecting an alternative device
- [imp] Application launch now deals with initialisation problems much more intelligently, including fatal problems
- [imp] DJ-1800 is now much better at tracking audio output devices between launches, and will no longer incorrectly report that a previous device is missing when it is not
- [new] DJ-1800 now has a Help menu - with a complete, Apple Help Center version of the DJ-1800 manual
- [imp] General Preferences window now reflects the current set of preferences in the window title
- [new] General Preferences window now has a Mac OS toolbar with selectable pages
- [imp] The General Preferences and Output Preferences windows now have cancel buttons
- [fix] General Preferences and Output Preferences windows now accept cmd-. and escape as cancel key commands
- [chg] The General Preferences keyboard shortcut is now command-comma, in line with Apple guidelines
- [chg] The Output Preferences keyboard shortcut is now command-shift-comma, in line with Apple guidelines
- [chg] If DJ-1800 triggers an unrecoverable exception during execution, it will write a stack trace to the console before quitting. This makes it much easier for us to debug the rare occasions when users experience unrecoverable exceptions
Tuesday 1st August 2006 : DJ-1800 v2.2.2
Changes in v2.2.2:
- [fix] Fixed a problem with dragging and dropping songs from the iTunes Library window on Intel Macs
Thursday 27th October 2005 : DJ-1800 v2.2.1
Changes in v2.2.1:
- [fix] Fixed a problem in v2.2 where the Rack window would not resize correctly on subsequent launches of DJ-1800, if parts of the rack were set to be minimised or hidden
Wednesday 26th October 2005 : DJ-1800 v2.2
New features and improvements in v2.2:
- [new] Support for the Hercules DJ Console (Mac Edition), including support for the display lights on the Console
- [new] Support for the Kontrol-DJ MIDI controller
- [new] Support for the X-keys Jog & Shuttle Editor
- [new] Support for the Evolution X-Session controller
- [new] Added MIDI control for all four CD Players on the DJ-1800 interface
- [new] Added MIDI control for the currently controlled CD Player
- [new] Added MIDI control for the generic mixer controls, and for selecting which CD Player to control
- [new] Written a MIDI setup guide to enable users to customise their MIDI devices for use with DJ-1800 based on their own custom requirements
- [imp] You can now control as many different interface elements as you like at the same time (was previously limited to 6), using as many controllers as you like
- Audio and performance improvements
- [imp] Perfect, sample-accurate live / headphones sync and reduced CPU load when using the same multichannel device for both Master and Cue
- [new] Song loading and importing now takes place on a background thread, reducing the chance of audio dropouts and improving interface update responsiveness when loading songs
- [imp] Calculation of StartPoint and AutoGain is now quite a bit faster
- [imp] Mono files now play through both of the left and right speakers, when you select to use channels 1 + 2 on a device in DJ-1800's output preferences. Previously the file would just play in mono through channel 1. Note that the file will play through whichever channels are set as "left and right" for that device, even if this isn't channels 1 and 2. (You can check what is set to be used for left and right by opening the device in in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup - usually it will be the channels 1 and 2.) Note also that mono files still play in mono if you select to use anything other than the first two channels, e.g. if you select channels 3+4, the file will still play in mono through channel 3.
- [imp] Volume monitoring levels are more consistent across different output modes, especially when dealing with mono files
- [imp] AutoGain now calculates peak values rather than average values, so if a 100% signal is found anywhere in the analyzed samples, no AutoGain adjustment is used
- [imp] AutoGain stops calculating if a 100% signal is found, even if more samples remain, avoiding unnecessary processing
- [imp] Reduced CPU load when songs are cued ready for playback when first loaded
- [imp] Loading a new song is now slightly quicker
- [new] New song position bar to enable you to jump to any point in a song, and scan the position backwards and forwards very quickly
- [imp] New, clearer CD Player LCD layout
- [imp] Improved time display, with dividers between the minute, second and 100th fields, and better indication of what each field does
- [imp] All sliders now allow you to click at any point on the slider to move the knob to that point on the slider, and optionally drag from that new point
- [new] Clicking on the - and + icons at the top and bottom left of the pitch shift sliders now reduces / increases the pitch by 0.1% respectively
- [new] Clicking on the 0% text at the middle left of the pitch shift sliders resets the slider to the middle zero mark
- [new] BPM values from iTunes are now synchronised when using iTunes as your song library
- [new] BPM values (where they exist in iTunes) are displayed in the 'song load' and 'track' contextual menus. They appear in brackets, after the rest of the song info, e.g. "(135 bpm)".
- [new] BPM values (where they exist in iTunes) are displayed in the "currently loaded song" box under each CD player, before the song name
- [imp] Nicer 3D-style graphics for all buttons and sliders
- [chg] Swapped the "Play Mode" and "Time" buttons to match the new LCD layout, and swapped their keyboard control keys to match
- [new] DJ-1800 now checks if you really want to quit whenever the Quit menu item is selected or apple-Q is pressed, to avoid accidental quits whilst DJing
- [chg] The Elapsed / Remain displays now have a separate T. (Total) item for themselves rather than sharing one
- [chg] Non-active interface elements (e.g. logos, lines etc.) are now less visually prominent
- [imp] Interface redraw when switching back to DJ-1800 is now faster
- [chg] Jog wheel gradient now has a light source of top right, and the application icon has changed to match
- [imp] Edge of jog wheel 'hole' is now antialiased to the wheel
- [imp] Song Library window now shows a value of 0 to +5.0 for AutoGain, rather that 0 to 128, to more closely reflect the AutoGain value used on the mixer
- Other bug fixes, improvements and changes
- [chg] This version of DJ-1800 now requires QuickTime 7.0.2 or later
- [chg] Pitch shift is now turned on by default
- [fix] Selecting a different CD player no longer leaves a thin blue ring around the previous CD player on Tiger
- [fix] The pitch rate slider and jog wheel no longer 'eat' into the blue focus ring on a CD player
- [fix] Top-level menu items now un-highlight correctly when selected via keyboard controls
- [fix] Playing a song in CD Players 3 or 4, and then shrinking the window size such that they are not visible, no longer causes an OutOfBoundsException
- [fix] Menu commands (e.g. opt-cmd-1) are still honoured even when the menu item is disabled, rather than being interpreted as controller actions
- [fix] Your iTunes XML Music Library file can now live on a disk with international characters in its name, without causing a NilObjectException the next time you launch DJ-1800
- [fix] The characters used for the beginning of your special DJ-1800 iTunes playlists can now include international characters
- [chg] Removed the 'n' key shuttle wheel modifier for the mouse scroll wheel, due to incompatibilities with the Griffin PowerMate
- [chg] You now cannot quit DJ-1800 whilst an import of files (dragged on to the CD player) is taking place
- [kis] Running DJ-1800 v2.2 on Mac OS 10.3.9 with DigiDesign ProTools LE v6.9 installed prevents DJ-1800 starting the MIDI server
Monday 26th September 2005 : DJ-1800 v2.1.1
Changes in v2.1.1:
- [fix] Fixed a problem where some interface graphics would appear as white boxes on Mac OS 10.4.2 after installing "Security Update 2005-008" from Apple
Tuesday 12th July 2005 : DJ-1800 v2.1
New features and improvements in v2.1:
- [new] Support for all channels on multi-channel audio devices (was previously restricted to the first two channels only) (requires QuickTime 7)
- [imp] Keyboard control of the pitch slider now adjusts the pitch in increments of 0.1% every step
- [imp] Mouse control of the pitch slider now more closely represents the pitch value actually used
- [imp] Reduced the CPU load of the time displays
- [imp] Reduced the CPU load of the VU audio level displays (by quite a bit)
- [fix] Turning on pitch with a pitch value of 0% now correctly sets exactly 0% (this also reduces CPU load when pitch is on but set to 0%)
- [fix] The search wheel now works correctly when the song position is between 0.00 seconds and 0.14 seconds (previously it used a misleading chunk of the song)
- [fix] Existing Hi and Low twister values on mixer channels are now set for new songs when they are loaded, rather than just when the twister is next moved
- [fix] Potential audio dropout and sync problems when closing the Output Preferences window (after nothing had been changed) are now fixed
- [fix] Fixed a bug where using AutoGain with the Internal Mixer visible but minimised would cause a Gain twister to become visible
- [fix] Using the jog / shuttle wheel via keyboard control when a CD Player is minimised would cause that player's wheel to become visible. This is no longer the case.
- [chg] In v2.1, if DJ-1800 is unable to set the output device for a newly-loaded song, it no longer forces the user to quit, and provides more detail as to the nature of the error (requires QuickTime 7)
Tuesday 24th May 2005 : DJ-1800 v2.0
New features and improvements in v2.0:
- Audio improvements
- [new] Support for QuickTime 7 and Tiger (Mac OS 10.4)
- [imp] Improved playback performance in output modes 2 and 4
- [fix] Opening long songs no longer causes audio dropouts in currently-playing songs
- [imp] Master and Cue audio sync is now much, much better (requires QuickTime 7)
- [imp] Crackle-free (and much higher quality) pitch shifting (requires QuickTime 7)
- [imp] Stutter startpoint finding is more accurate, and loops more quickly (requires QuickTime 7)
- [imp] Mono output modes (modes 1 and 2) now map both channels of a stereo song into one mono channel (requires QuickTime 7)
- [imp] Improved Gain implementation (requires QuickTime 7)
- [imp] New 16-bit, more accurate startpoint finder
- [imp] QuickTime movies with multiple tracks / video tracks now get stripped down to their first audio track only when used with DJ-1800
- [chg] Stutter playback now only plays through the Cue output (when Cue is turned on) in modes 1 and 3, and never through live
- [imp] Added in a safety check when dragging and dropping a song onto a CD player. DJ-1800 now won't let you drop a song if the CD player is already playing another song
- [imp] iTunes synchronisation has been re-written from scratch to parse the iTunes XML library directly - now much, much quicker
- [new] Automatically finds your iTunes library file (assuming it's in the default location)
- [new] You can now specify to only use songs which appear in specific iTunes playlists, whose names begin with some text of your choosing (e.g. only iTunes playlists whose name begins with "dj1800_")
- [imp] iTunes synchronisation now supports international characters
- [new] DJ-1800 now loads volume adjustments and start points from iTunes (though it doesn't save them yet)
- [fix] Problems with iTunes playlist synchronisation (not all songs were syncing) now fixed
- [new] Entire application is now Unicode-friendly, displaying international characters throughout
- [new] All AAC and MP3 file imports now import international characters from metadata
- [new] Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Greek and Swedish localised versions now also available
- Performance Improvements
- [imp] Improved keyboard responsiveness for all controls
- [imp] Vastly reduced system load when DJ-1800 is idle
- [imp] Improved redraw speed for time display
- [imp] Now hides the VU meters when the mixer is minimised, to avoid the VUs appearing when they should be hidden
- Song menus and display
- [imp] Added Artist Names to Playlists in the Song Load menus
- [imp] The Albums and Artists song load menus now group Albums and Artists by starting letter to make browsing of large libraries easier
- [imp] Unknown Album / Artist / Genre / Song Name metadata is now handled and presented better in the song load menus
- [imp] Adding playlists to the 'song load' menus is now much quicker
- [imp] "Song" option under the 'song load' menus now also lists the Artist as well as the song title
- [imp] Improved accuracy of VU meters (requires QuickTime 7)
- [fix] Ampersands now display correctly in the "Currently loaded song" text display
- Other bug fixes, improvements and changes
- [imp] Entering a valid registration code now switches to 'register' as the default button in register window
- [fix] Fixed a bug where dragging and dropping two songs, playing the second song, dragging one song, and clicking "previous track" would cause a crash
- [fix] Fixed a bug where dragging and dropping a song would cause a CD Player to freeze if both StartPoint and AutoGain finding were turned off
- [fix] Fixed a bug where switching back to DJ-1800 after a drag and drop, during AutoGain calculation, would cause the "Calculating AutoGain" text to stick
- [fix] Protected AAC (.m4p) files now have their metadata (Album, Artist etc) correctly imported when they are imported into the Internal Library or dragged and dropped onto DJ-1800
- [fix] Fixed a bug where setting the Hi and Low levels for a channel, with no song loaded, would cause a crash
- [fix] Fixed a bug in Continue play mode that would cause Cueing to skip to the next song, rather than cue the song (and cause a crash if you pressed Cue enough times)
- [fix] Keyboard shortcuts for Time Mode and Play Mode are now the right way round (keys 7 and 8 rather than 8 and 7)
- [chg] Removed some keyboard NumberPad controls due to inconsistencies between keyboard layouts
- [chg] DJ-1800 no longer attempts to calculate StartPoint or AutoGain values for Protected AAC (.m4p) files, as it is unable to do so due to the DRM protection in QuickTime
Monday 27th October 2003 : DJ-1800 v1.2.1
New features in v1.2.1:
- [fix] iTunes 4.1 now correctly imports if you have blank playlists
- [new] French localisation now available (with thanks to Tim Sismey, Helen Sykes and Mandy Pollard)
Monday 6th October 2003 : DJ-1800 v1.2
New features in v1.2:
- [imp] Entire application is much more audio-friendly, with reduced / no audio dropouts, including:
- Song import
- Song library opening
- Loading a large number of songs into a CD player
- [new] Visual feedback of button presses and mouse clicks on rack device buttons
- [new] New crossfader interface with wider flexibility - assign any combination of the four CD Players to each side of the crossfader
- [new] Crossfader channel assignment saved on quit
- [chg] Crossfader keyboard shortcuts changed to match new crossfader approach
- [chg] Crossfader is now a separate Rack device, and can be hidden and minimised
- [new] Hiding the crossfader removes all crossfade effect from the mixer output, allowing you to use mixer faders for live output of all 4 CD players at once
- [new] Added menu and keyboard shortcuts to maximise / minimise rack devices
- [imp] Improved responsiveness of shift-leftarrow and shift-rightarrow for hard left and hard right on crossfader
- [imp] Redraw of windows on OS X and Classic improved
- [new] Full support for ContourDesign ShuttlePro, ShuttlePro v2 and ShuttleXpress
- [chg] Unicode characters in song info tags are now stripped out to stop songs with Unicode-encoded tags being rejected by DJ-1800
- [kis] Unicode characters in song info tags are not actually imported - just stripped out
Monday 16th June 2003 : DJ-1800 v1.1
New features in v1.1:
- [new] Much, much faster song database format used (compared to v1.0)
- [new] 1.0 song library database imported and converted to the new format
- [imp] Can now import any file that contains a Quicktime-supported soundtrack (including AAC files)
- [new] iTunes song info metadata in AAC files is now imported on import or drag and drop
- [new] Drag and drop from Finder to CD Players
- [new] Drag and drop from iTunes to CD Players
- [new] Option to rebuild song load menus after drag and drop (not rebuilt by default)
- [new] Can now use more than two output devices under OS X (requires QuickTime 6 or later to be installed), although not multiple channels on one device
- [new] Can show and hide rack devices to save on screen space (and their visibility is stored on quit / restored on load)
- [new] Maximise / Minimise and Hide icons on rack to maximise, minimise and hide rack devices
- [new] "View" menu to show and hide rack devices
- [new] "Display" option in general preferences, including:
- Select default main window position (left / mid / right, top / mid / bottom)
- Select Song Library font size
- Select Song Load menu font size
- [new] Added analogue support for Griffin PowerMate in OS X as a jog search / scan controller
- [new] Added analogue support for a mouse scroll wheel in OS X as a jog search / scan controller
- [new] German localisation available (with thanks to David Gavin)
- [new] Improved distribution format
- [chg] Updated documentation
- [fix] Fixed a bug whereby starting a search stutter would jump back to previous cue point rather than beginning from current song play / pause point
- [fix] Importing files with no song title metadata and more than one "." in filename now fixed (only extension gets removed now, rather than everything after first ".")
- [fix] Importing a song or folder of songs from the File menu in the main Rack window now rebuilds the song load menus on successful completion
Monday 14th April 2003 : DJ-1800 v1.0
New features in v1.0:
- [new] DJ-1800 now uses a song database format rather than having to load and save your library on every launch / quit. This has the following benefits:
- MUCH quicker startup / quit
- No need to re-save entire library when only a startpoint has been found
- Importing of songs is much faster
- [new] Improved iTunes integration, making use of the song database format. This has the following benefits:
- better and faster library importing (uses internal file import for MP3 tags rather than AppleScript)
- better updating process (checks modification date and time of actual song file, rather than re-importing everything)
- check on launch for updates (as a preference option) rather than re-importing entire library each time. If iTunes hasn't changed, no need to re-import on every launch!
- New menu option to force re-import from iTunes in case things get out of sync
- [fix] Fixed ctrl+i being an alias for tab
- [fix] Fixed crtl+L being an alias for page down
- [fix] Fixed ctrl+d being an alias for end
- [fix] Fixed ctrl+h being an alias for backspace delete
- [fix] Fixed pitch bend double click stickiness
- [fix] iTunes libraries containing non-file tracks can now be imported (non-file tracks such as URLs are ignored)
- [fix] Clicking on CD player number, or double-clicking on CD player background, switches control to that CD player
- [new] Crossfader switching is shift-modifiable (for previous channel) on keyboard and click
- [fix] Fixed a crash in Carbon under Classic when using a large song library and using the Load menus for more than about 780 menu items
- [new] Improved the "Song" load menu to group songs by their first character
- [new] Improved the "Genre" load menu to order songs by Genre, then Artist, then Album, then Song, in an iPod stylee.
- [chg] Reduced font size on load menus to 10px (from 11px) to improve working with large libraries
- [chg] Reduced font size in library to 10px (from 11px) to improve working with large libraries
- [new] If the dock is visible and on the left, and space is available, DJ-1800's main window will avoid the dock
- [new] Cross-fade keyboard shortcuts (up arrow and down arrow) now switch hard left / hard right whilst held down, and then "snap back" to previous crossfade position (shift-left arrow and shift-right arrow still perform hard-left and hard-right without snap back)
- [fix] Crash when calculating AutoGain of short songs (< 2 seconds) on load into CD Player fixed
- [chg] Fader (channel vol, pitch shift, crossfade) knobs are now more obviously 3D
- [chg] Song Load menu dialog window is now more descriptive (useful when using a large song library)
- [fix] Fixed audio drop-out when using StartPoint finder feature whilst loading a song into a CD Player
- [kis] Occasional latency between headphones and master out in Mode 3 (Dual + Mixer)
- [new] New "loop" play mode
- [new] Updated documentation
Monday 24th March 2003 : DJ-1800 v1.0 beta 4
New features in v1.0b4:
- [new] Check for iTunes 1 (has no AppleScript Dictionary)
- [imp] Increased the file formats used to import files
- [new] New StartFinder (much improved over old one, now searches through actual waveform)
- [new] New AutoGain feature
- [imp] Increased checking of valid files on import
- [fix] Removed bug when importing a volume, allowing import of an iPod drive
- [new] Improved load / save contextual menus to allow loading of individual songs
- [new] Improved load / save contextual menu performance - regenerated when library changes = quicker when in use
- [imp] Increased demo time to 30 minutes
- [new] New mixer layout, and changes to vu set-up
- [imp] Improved the names used for output devices
- [imp] Simplified output preferences - and default outputs are chosen based on the devices available when first loaded
- [imp] Relaid output preferences window with new explanations
- [chg] Cue + Play is no longer optional - it's always used in modes 1 and 3
- [chg] Removed escape key shortcut for classic (and carbon in classic) environments (didn't work)
- [fix] Stutter find on jog wheel now correctly displays the right time, and allows searching to the very beginning of the song (0:00 seconds)
- [new] Updated documentation
Thursday 6th February 2003 : DJ-1800 v1.0 beta 3
New features in v1.0b3:
- [imp] Improved interfaces
- [new] iTunes library import
- [new] iTunes playlists import
- [new] Song Library preferences
- [new] Cue + Play in Mode 3
- [new] Separate Classic-only build
- [new] Beta expiry date
- [new] Demo mode and registration
- [new] Updated documentation